Pages

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Why I Like Android Over iPhone

Yes. It's true. I'm going against the norm (again). I'm a rebel.

Indeed, the iPhone has quite a good reputation. And that for good reasons. Well, for one thing, its user interface is superb, and it is very user-friendly. You can find apps for almost any activity you like, from social networking, to banking.

However, I find the Android more appealing.

Allow me to explain. The Android, over the last couple of years, has developed considerably, and so now has a great user interface, almost comparable to iPhone's. And it has become also user-friendly.

But for me, those are not an issue, since I consider myself an "expert user." What is appealing about the Android is that it is less restricted in its usage, allowing far more freedom in how you can use it.

For instance, on the iPhone, you can not run Flash - for no other reason that Apple, Inc. doesn't like Adobe's Flash. It is not a technical reason.

Also, another appealing feature of the Android is that when you purchase an app (a paid one), it is registered to you, so you can download it again, at ANY time. It doesn't matter whether you get a new phone, or a new tablet, etc. You can just install it from scratch. Whereas on the iPhone, once you download the app, it's up to you to back it up, and restore it on a new device.

But these are less important gimmicks than the real reason I prefer Android. And that is: I can completely hack the Android OS and reset it, just the way I like. On my phone, I have wiped the system (as it came from T-Mobile) and replaced it with the original Google's version of Android.

And yes, this is legal! I've checked.

If I wanted to, I could modify Android to operate in specific instances, as I wanted - it is "open-source" after all.

On the iPhone, you're limited to how your phone comes. You cannot use your phone except as limited by restrictions of the system.

Considering I have about half a hundred apps on Android already, and the freedoms it provides, I much prefer the Android.

No comments: